[TriLUG] Opennms/Tomcat4 on Debian Sarge

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 11:52:22 EDT 2005

What I am trying to do: install Opennms on Debian Sarge.

Problem: tomcat4 seems broken.  Here is the error I get when trying to
install tomecat4:

tomcat4: Depends: ant but it is not installable

Okay.  No big deal.   Let's see if "ant" is in the list.

apt-cache pkgnames ant

(and, yes, it is in there.  Let' try to install it)

apt-get install ant

oops, now I get an error.

Package ant is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  libant1.5-java

I can insatll libant1.5-java, and I have, but tomcat4 still complains
about "ant" if I try to install it.

Being new to debain, what is my best choice here?  Install ant from
souce (something I've heard is bad voodoo on debian, that is,
installing packages from source that apt is not aware of)?  Or
something else?

Any ideas?  I'm going to mow the yard and think about it.

Greg