[TriLUG] Desperately seeking dovecot help.

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 18:24:26 EDT 2005

After migrating my workstation/server from RH9 to Ubuntu 5.04, many
thanks to the folks at the installfest, and Kevin Otte in particular,
I'm gradually bringing it back up to speed.

Right now I'm stuck on a dovecot problem.  I think that I've correctly
copied my old maildirs to the new structure, but dovecot doesn't seem
to be seeing any mail there.

I used to run Courier-imap with the mail delivered to user home
directories, I decided to move over to dovecot after seeing so much
mention of it, and since I was moving from sendmail to postfix as
well.

I also decided to follow the two-part how-to:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_postfix_virtual_hosting
which covers the postfix configuration and
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_postfix_virtual_hosting_2
which covers the dovecot side

I made a /var/spool/vmail/denhaven2.com directory with a subdirectory
for each user as directed in part 1 with subdirs for each user. I then
copied the cur, tmp, and new dirs from backups to a directory named
for each user.

I did a test with mail and sent myself a local e-mail, which after a
bit of debugging ended up in /var/spool/vmail/denhaven2.com/rick/new
directory

I used the dovecot log to fix problems with the location of the
maildir, I think that it's looking in the right place, but neither
squirrelmail, nor thunderbird, nor telneting to the imap port seem to
be able to get dovecot to cough up any email.

Any ideas??????