[TriLUG] aptitude broke gaim!

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at mallet-assembly.org
Mon Jul 11 12:11:24 EDT 2005

Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> writes:
> Okay.  It alllll seems to boil down to libaspell15c2.  Apparently
> libaspell15c2 conflicts with libaspell15.  Um..  Why?  Shouldn't
> libaspell15c2 be a replacement for libaspell15?  If I upgrade
> libaspell15 to libaspell15c2, kdelibs4 gets broken (and if I try to
> apt-get install libaspell15c2 instead of using aptitude, it wants to
> remove the 229 packages that depend on kdelibs4.  Not an option!)

It's the C++ transition.  libaspell15c2 can't be a replacement for
libaspell15 because they're compiled with C++ compilers that do not
produce binary-compatible interfaces, but they must present the same
filename in order for the dynamic linker to find them.

C++ ABI stuff is a PITA any way you slice it.

> Argh.  I feel so disconnected!  Anyway, any and all help is greatly
> appreciated.

I don't think there's any way you can work around this.  Your best bet
is probably go grab the source package for gaim and recompile it using
gcc4, so that it picks up the new C++ stuff, so it'll be installable
alongside kde4.

I hope I don't sound too condescending when I say that if you didn't
know this transition was coming, didn't recognize the disruption that
was going to result, and didn't immediately know how to dealing with
it, don't run unstable, run testing; you'll see all this stuff filter
in over the course of a few weeks, with all the conflicts and such
sorted.

Otherwise, expect breakage, and there's probably going to be more
before there's less.

Mike
--
Give it away -- Red Hot Chili Peppers