[TriLUG] best router / firewall distro

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:01:06 EDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Ryan Wheaton <ryan.wheaton at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> just another monday.  I'm currently running a 486 with smoothwall for a
> all in one router / firewall system, and I like it fine, but it's an
> older version and it's time to upgrade.  Was thinking of just putting
> the newer version of Smoothwall on there, but wanted to get everyone's
> recommendations.  Unless a better candidate comes along, I think it's
> between SmoothWall and *m0n0wall.  I like the options and BSD security
> offered by m0n0wall, and have read good things, but I've heard that it's
> hard to get set up?  Note that i'm not all that experienced with BSD's
> but linux is a familiar home.

m0n0 is pretty friendly since it has the GUI front end.

There's also pfsense (http://www.pfsense.com/).  It's based on the
m0n0 way of admining a firewall, but uses pf and openbsd.  IIRC, m0n0
is still using ipf and freebsd.

I haven't tried pfsense yet, and it is still under development so I'm
not sure how stable it is.