[TriLUG] mod_auth_somethingorother

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Jul 14 09:35:42 EDT 2005

Honestly, I have no idea.  All I have is a foggy memory (and lots of
black-box real-world examples out there) from a job that I left 3 years
ago, and I wasn't even particularly involved with the authentication
aspect of the site; it was just there and I want something like it.

So to generalize, I want something where I can continue to count on
Apache to serve up 403s for non-authenticated folks, but not have to
rely on the oh-so-tacky browser-default authentication dialog.  Is there
some trick I can pull in PHP to tell the browser "Here's the credentials
the user entered, so supply them and don't go asking the user for them"?
  Maybe some header() trickery?

Thanks continually,
~B