[TriLUG] ulimit violations

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at futeki.net
Thu Jul 14 17:16:14 EDT 2005

I have a mis-behaving Tomcat webapp (that I didn't write) which likes to
increase its memory size from ~80M on startup to ~125M after some amount
of usage at which point it crashes with OutOfMemoryException.  Obviously
the devs need to fix whatever memory they're leaking or filehandles
they've left open so that the thing is actually scalable.

What I'd like to know though, is if I can find a log file or other hook
where I can see if it's hitting a ulimit and which one.  The 125M
doesn't seem to correlate to any of the set ones (default RHEL3, iirc),
so it could be any or none of them really:

$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 4
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 10240
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Thanks,
Tim