[TriLUG] Mailman and Scripting

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 03:58:12 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 08:57, Scott Lundgren wrote:
> I'm still having trouble with my php.ini issue I posted about late
> yesterday so if anyone wants to take a stab at it, I'd be grateful.
>
> The new thing I'm tackling today is working with a mailing list managed
> by mailman. There is a basic membership registration form I'm taking
> over from somebody and right now it simply stores that information into
> a database. I'd like to add a new checkbox so that since I have the
> users name, email address, and password they choose, they can subscribe
> to the mailing list as well. Is it possible to programmatically
> interface to mailman? Has anyone else done something like this?
>
> Thanks for Your Time,
> Scott

I've done this for hundreds of sites. Someone already mentioned the
command line tools, but you can just as easily have your script send a
subscribe email (as the user) to Mailman and that will begin the mailman
subscription dance via email. Which works out nicely since you really
want to make sure that the email address is valid and that it also
belongs to the person claiming it. :-)

BTW: you can have Mailman use an SQL database for its config and
membership database, so some folks just use the standard Mailman
interface for building their membership database.

Good Luck