[TriLUG] Apache sharing files out of a samba share

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at futeki.net
Fri Jul 15 15:42:45 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 11:23 -0400, David McDowell wrote:
> All this, yet we can get PDF, they work fine.  We can get some Word
> docs (the non form fillable) they work fine.  No jpgs, no mp3s, no
> .xls either.  We tried the JPG and MP3 formats to make sure this
> wasn't related soley to Word, and have found that it isn't just Word.

Just an off the wall idea, but is it possible that MIME types are the
problem?  Are you having the php script just print links to
~user/doc/somefile.doc or are you downloading through the php script?
This could mess with the mime-type.  Maybe also mod_mime_magic having
trouble reading files over SMB?  Possibly not matching squirly 8.3 names
to proper mime extensions?

Tim