[TriLUG] Grub vs Removable HDs

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:41:01 EDT 2005

The reason grub doesn't like it is that it keeps a static map of
available disks.  Perhaps LILO is really what you want.  There are
other boot loaders too.  I don't think Grub is the right tool for this
job.

On 7/16/05, Brian Henning <lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com> wrote:
> Oops.. sent from the wrong account again...
>

> Hi Y'all,
>   I use grub as my bootloader to select between Linux and XP Pro.
>
> I just purchased two removable IDE drive caddies, and they hang off the
> primary channel of a PCI IDE card (Promise Ultra100).  The drive with
> /boot/grub/grub.conf is the master on the second IDE channel of the Promise
> card.  Windows lives on the primary master of the mobo's controller.
>
> Grub doesn't like it /at all/ when the number of connected drives changes.
> Probably because it seems to want to renumber the drives on the fly; ide2-ma
> is hd4 if ide1-ma and ide1-sl are present, but ide2-ma becomes hd2 if
> ide1-ma and ide1-sl have been disconnected.  That's bad, because then grub
> exits with an Error 21 upon boot up.
>
> One potential solution would be to have the /boot partitioned drive on
> ide1-ma and the removables on ide2, so that /boot is always on hd2.. but my
> IDE cables won't reach to connect it that way.
>
> So how do I make grub not care if the removable HDs are there or not?  I
> don't want to have to use rescue mode and reinstall grub to my MBR every
> time I change the removable configuration..
>
> Thanks,
> ~Brian

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com