[TriLUG] X Transparency

Josh Vickery vickeryj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:24:20 EDT 2005

xorg is now in SID, but if you try to install it, you may find that it
wants to uninstall a bunch of packages.  I switched to xorg on debian,
not in order to enable transparency, but in order to get a bit more
performance out of my graphics card.  So far I have been quite happy.
However, transparency performance is terrible with my video card, so I
leave it turned off.  I installed xorg alongside XFree86 using the
instructions at:
http://blogs.vislab.usyd.edu.au/index.php/Steve/2004/09/09/installing_a_non_intrusive_x

If apt-get installing xorg looks like it will be too much of a
headache, or you just want to try out xorg without getting rid of your
existing XFree86 install, the instructions at that URL should serve
you well.  It includes instructions on setting up on demand
transparency at the end.

Josh