[TriLUG] iwlist scanning

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Jul 21 17:27:53 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I've lost the post which mentioned this but someone
> suggested
>
> iwlist eth0 scanning
>
> which here gives
>
> eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
>
> I've got an orinoco gold b, 2.6.12 kernel and I'm connected
> by wifi when I ran this command.
>
> Should I have expected scanning not to work?

Are you using the orinoco_pci kernel module?  If so, I am pretty sure
you need the absolute latest driver for scanning to work.

It is entirely possible your wireless card would be eth0 with this
driver, assuming either the wireless driver was loaded first or you have
no wired NIC.

You can get the latest tarball from:

http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/

I believe I am running the 0.15rc2 on my laptop and scanning works just
fine.

Pat