[TriLUG] HTTP proxy/filter

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Jul 22 12:02:29 EDT 2005

Hi Crew,
   Another troll for comments (TFC?...), this time about http filtering.
  The features I'd love to see are:

- List of allowed / denied sites easily adiminstered.
- Proxy-style; one server handles everyone's access, looks like a proxy
to a browser for ease of installation.
- It'd be nice if allow/deny were segregated by the originator's IP
- It'd have to be smart about things like Yahoo redirects, which appear
to fool IE's Content Advisor.

The /really/ cool feature I'd love to see is:
- If a user attempts to view a site that isn't on the allow-list, he is
presented with a basic page that says "Sorry, that domain / site isn't
on the list of authorized sites.  Please click here to submit a request
to have it authorized."  Clicking said widget (be it a link or a
button...trifle) would fire off an e-mail to the administrator
containing a link into the admin interface which would present a list of
pending auth requests.  Allowing or denying each one would possibly send
an e-mail back to the originator of the request alerting him to the
decision.

These can't be innovative ideas.  Anybody got some suggestions along
those lines?  Building my own would be neat, but probably too
time-consuming.

Thanks!

~Brian