[TriLUG] cp errror "Argument list too long"

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 18:14:57 EDT 2005

Ugh.  I have a Axis webcam doing motion detection to watch the dogs at
home.  I have been creating mpg movies using the following command:

convert *.jpg -delay 10 date.mpg

But before I use the convert command I copy the files to /tmp/date.

When I try to copy the files I get a "Argument list too long" error
and nothing is copied.  If I try to run the convert commany directly
from the directly where my Axis camera dumps them I get the same
error: Argument list too long.

I got crafty and did a 'for i in *jpg; cp $i /tmp/date ; done' and
that worked - but the convert still failed.

Any ideas here?  I'm out of them.  And google is no help, at least in
the middle of the night.

*yawn*