[TriLUG] conference call solution -- old school

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 28 10:54:30 EDT 2005

The free conference is a bit of a misnomer since you have to pay
$.10/minute/line. The same price we (FeatureTel) charge for our
conference bridge.

We use an Asterisk box for our conference bridge. The setup was very
simple, and MeetMe conferencing works very well on it. It basically
accepts SIP connections from our servers and clients and joins them into
conferences based on a login number - each conference has a special
login number associated with it.

VoIP is really going to be driving the pricing down on conferencing. The
scalability and ease of setup make conferencing much easier than the old
traditional Bridges.  BTW: that site www.freeconference.com looks and
acts just like our Asterisk conference bridge, and since the pricing is
identical I'll bet it *is* Asterisk based :-)

Jon Carnes