[TriLUG] Linux and the Intel Pentium Extreme

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 11:42:12 EDT 2005

Because I did not know if it's existance?  Actually, I was looking at
the Extreme simply because I stumbled upon it on the Intel website
while trying to figure out what was likely to start showing up in the
Apple low-end desktops and I am also in need of a new server so I was
looking for the future guts of that box.  Give the price the 820 looks
like a much better choice of performance vs. $$.

One thing I do know is my old P-II "server" is tried and in need of
replacement.  Sure, it makes for a fine SAMBA and print server for the
two Mac laptops but it is old and tired and can't handle the image
capture and video processing that I need.  Also it could greatly
benefit from a primary SCSI drive where /tmp, /video (and the rest of
the OS) resides with SATA raid for long-term storage for the data and
videos.  Another 2 gig of high-speed RAM or so would be nice.

So, now it is time to upgrade and consider processors, etc.  I am
weary of AMD processors from past expirence and am looking at the
Intel line for the next purchase.

Greg