[TriLUG] iwlist scanning

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sun Jul 31 20:32:39 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Pat Regan wrote:
>

>> You can get the latest tarball from:
>>
>> http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/
>

>> I believe I am running the 0.15rc2 on my laptop and scanning works
>> just fine.
>
> are you running 2.4? This file is about a year old and doesn't
> compile under 2.6.12 (structures are different). This file that comes
> with 2.6.12 sis from Jun 2005 bu is from pcmcia-3.1.22, while the
> current is pcmcia-3.2.8.

I am running 2.6.  2.6.11 to be exact.  I just happened to attempt to
build a 2.6.12 on my laptop last night and the same 0.15rc2 was a no go
(same problem as you).  I looked at the in-kernel source for this driver
and it is some 0.14alpha version.  I tested it just for grins, and it
does not support scanning.

When I have more gumption I might try the CVS version.

> It's not clear how to build modules outside the kernel in 2.6.
>
> Do you have any clue what to do here?

For this particular module I just did a make, make install from the
orinoco-xxx directory.

> Marcel Gagne (sp?) in Linux J this month mentions that orinico won't
> scan in Linux but will in Windows as the info to do so is not freely
> available.

It most definitely scans with the 0.15rc2 driver, and I found out last
night it does not work with the 0.14alpha.

Pat