[TriLUG] OT: stiff mouse knob on Thinkpad - cure?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 21:29:06 EDT 2005

On 7/31/05, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> I have a couple of thinkpads, only one has a mouse pointer that's
> acceptably free. The only two are hard work to move the mouse accross the
> screen. Is there any mechanical cure for this or do I get an external
> mouse? I don't relish the idea of carrying an external mouse in my crowded
> laptop bag.

Hmmmmm, I've seen lots of Thinkpads, and been quite rough on quite a
few. I've never seen that problem.  I'm assuming you are talking about
the red knob between the G,H,B, and N keys.

The only mechanical problem I can think of is gunk around the knob,
although that would seem to cause the keys to stick. Non-mechanically
I think that there are some sensitivity settings, but these might be
hard to get to without windoze. I remember something like in the
Thinkpad windows control panel in windows, but now the only thinkpad I
have access to is Linux only.