[TriLUG] Networked DVR (was storage with 4 x 80G hard drives?)

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 1 13:54:28 EDT 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Owen Berry wrote:

> Sorry to hijack this thread (seems to have run out for now anyway),
> but
> I was wondering if there were any thoughts on using the Linksys NSLU2
> and Debian (or other Linux based firmware replacements) to build a
> networked DVR.
>
> The one sticking point that I can see is the video output. It looks
> like
> you can get a USB to s-video cable, although they seem to be aimed at
> capturing video to a PC, not the other way around. Maybe there are
> more
> promising solutions out there.
>
> Any thoughts? Other devices out there that would be more suitable?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Owen

Well I read lots of posts on media servers, but have never seen
anyone using one of the storage devices for the recording part.
Buffalo makes one also.
You can go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39
to read about many of them and how people are using them. There are
ports of some of the streaming media player software that works on
many of these also.

Many people use the hardware media players for playback (front end
machines in Myth terms) and a PC or Mac for recording. This is the
route I am taking using a Mac for recording and serving the media
files and it looks like the IO-Data LinkPlayer2 for the clients.

John