[TriLUG] Networked DVR (was storage with 4 x 80G hard drives?)

Josh Vickery vickeryj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 17:06:04 EDT 2005

I use an Xbox for that.  It isn't silent but I did replace the almost
80mm fan with a quieter 80mm fan (took a little bit of dremel tooling)
and the fan is now quieter than the larger HD I put in it.  Used
xboxes can be had for ~ $100 and the older ones are much easier to
modify for running linux.  I've been looking for something else, but
its tough to find a solution that is silent, has enough power to
decode mpeg 4, and doesn't cost a bundle.

Josh