[TriLUG] Networked DVR (was storage with 4 x 80G hard drives?)

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 1 21:23:37 EDT 2005

> I guess what I really want is a device that has a big hard drive, can
> output video for playback on a TV, and can participate in a network.
> Preferably it would take a wireless network card. The recording
> side of
> things is not so important.
>
> Putting together a cheap (but reliable) PC with a video card that
> has a
> TV-out port, running some form of Linux, seems one of the better
> options
> because it is so flexible, except that I want something quieter
> humming
> away in my living room. If it was more like a device it would be even
> better.
>
> This one looks interesting ... but isn't out yet, and I don't need all
> the extras that will probably drive the price up.

> http://www.mediabolic.com/products/nmp.html
>
> -- Owen

Here are some network media players, some have the ability to attache
local storage also. They require you have some media player software
running on a PC or Mac or one of the embedded storage devices.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?
productid=96&categoryid=18
http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%
2FDVDLA&ts=2&tsc=15