[TriLUG] AMD and reliability

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:45:32 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone on the list has the same misfortune with AMD that I have
> had?  Perhaps I am returning too quickly to the comfortable world of
> Intel.

[snip]

> I guess I am looking for an opinions.  If price where not an issue
> would you build an AMD system or an Intel system.  The OS I will
> likely use is Debian Sarge.  The machine will be a server (i.e.
> doesn't need pretty graphics, will likely spent most of it's time
> chugging along at run level 3 in CLI mode).  With this kind of system
> requirements in mind what would you build?

I'll throw in my little bit also: The last pentium I paid for was a
p133, everything since then has been AMD.  k63-400 is still in the
closet waiting for me to find something to do with it.  Had an XP1800
for probably four years and the CPU lasted through three mobos,
upgraded to an xp 2400 and i'm still happy with it, no problems at
all.

I think there was some duron action in there too at one point, also no
problems with that.

Given no cost restrictions I'd be all over some opteron goodness, with
a metric ass-load of ram.