[TriLUG] Bind Question

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 08:00:26 EDT 2005

Hello everyone!

I am setting up Bind for the first time and will be hosting about 20 DNS
zones to begin with. When we register a domain and set up the DNS zone for
one of our churches I set up the following A records:

domain.org <http://domain.org>
www.domain.org <http://www.domain.org>
*.domain.org

We are using domainsite.com <http://domainsite.com> now for DNS hosting and
will be shortly moving it to our new internal Bind servers. I add the
*.domain.org A record to catch any time someone miskeys a subdomain or tries
to access a subdomain that does not exist. All three of these A records
usually point to the same IP address. While using Webmin to set up the zones
in Bind I noticed that the web interface doesn't allow me to add the *
record. It returns an invalid hostname message. Should I not be adding the *
wildcard to each domain? Is that not best practice? I noticed that I could
add the wildcard to the text file directly and get away with it. I am
concerned, however, that we might be breaking Bind. I'd like to resolve this
before going live. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks!