[TriLUG] hotplug/pcmcia conflict with combo ethernet/modem

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Aug 4 12:52:51 EDT 2005

I'm changing from 2.4.x to 2.6.12 and getting thing to work one by one.
I'm using the latest hotplug scripts, latest pcmcia tools, 2.6.12 kernel.
I don't have udev sorted out which probably is complicating the matter.

I'm trying to get my Xircom REM56G-100 combo ethernet/modem pcmcia
card to work. The device drivers get loaded for both the modem
and the ethernet parts.

The ethernet port part works fine. The modem part works fine
if I hand edit /dev after insertion.

What happens is that /etc/pcmcia/serial is fed the device
as "/dev/eth0" rather than "/dev/ttyS3". /dev then winds up
with

/dev/modem -> /dev/eth0

rather than

/dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS3

David Hinds, on the pcmcia mailing list, says that this is a
hotplug script problem as his scripts are fed the wrong info,
but he doesn't further explain.

I've unsuccessfully tried to trace through the hotplug
scripts but the tracing is complicated by there being
several executables (eg cardmgr) in the path. Some
scripts are fed parameters (arguements) and some
get their info from the environment. It's all a little
confusing at the moment.

While there is a net.agent in /etc/hotplug, there's
no serial.agent presumably needed for serial hotplugging.

Anyone have any ideas how to trace this problem?

Thanks Joe