[TriLUG] Linux DNS Server issues with DOS client

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Aug 5 09:24:00 EDT 2005

I have a DNS server along with 2 Windows servers that are on a private
network. I'll give the server setup below for reference.

 I've setup the DNS and DHCP on RHEL3. The problem I'm having is with a
boot disk. It is a DOS based (no remarks please) diskette that runs an
automated process for us. In the autoexec.bat it makes a drive mapping
with net use:  net use O: \\server2\share in a loop:

:net
net use O: \\server2\share
if errorlevel 1 goto net

The problem: When it tries to map this drive, it fails 8 times before it
finally is able to map the drive.  This happens from ANY network drop I
have on this private network. And it is exactly 8 failures EVERY time. I
cannot manually map from the DOS diskette. I've tried to manually do
this 10 times in a row, so I have to put it in a bat file to make it loop.

I've run named-checkconf and named-checkzone on my zones. All but 1 seem
to pass. I'm not sure how to run named-checkzone on named.ca - could
someone advise on this?

Here's what I have so far:
Server1: RHEL3 running DHCPD and NAMED. On this server I can dig and
nslookup server2 and server3 via full qualified name or just servername.

Server2: Windows 2000 Standard. 3 shares. If I put net use in a loop I
can get to them via the DOS diskette.

Server3: Windows 2003 Enterprise. 2 shares. If I put net use in a loop I
can get to them via the DOS diskette.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?