[TriLUG] Bind permission errors

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:29:28 EDT 2005

I am in the process of setting up primary and secondary bind servers for our
organization. We have started registering and hosting website domains for
our local churches as they request (and pay for) them. The primary bind
server went well. All master zones are set up and configured with their A ,
NS and MX records. The trouble comes when I try to set up a slave zone on
the secondary server. The zone will not transfer properly. Checking
/var/log/messages returns the following error:

Aug 5 05:35:52 ns2 named[5493]: transfer of
'nccumc.org/IN<http://nccumc.org/IN>'
from 192.168.10.59#53: failed while receiving responses: permission denied

My bind servers are running bind version 9 (latest from urpmi) on Mandriva
LE 2005. I set up bind using webmin. All default installation options from
urpmi are in effect. Is there some setup step that I have missed? I have
googled the error several times and have the following questions:

1) Should user named own named.conf and the domain.tld.hosts files?
2) Should all of the files mentioned be stored in /etc? Bind did this by
default.
3) Should I be worried about file level permissions at all or is there
something in the zone setup that I am missing?

I appreciate any help you can offer with this. I hope someday I can start
answering questions instead of always asking them. Thanks again!