[TriLUG] Odd

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Fri Aug 5 15:33:25 EDT 2005

Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> writes:
> I am logged in at the console, and attempting to update dpkg ( among
> other things, but it is first ).  The process stops ( fails ) saying
> that it can not write /usr/sbin/install-info.
>
> OK, so I look at it, and it is owned by root, with 755 permissions.
> /usr/sbin itself is the same.  If I try to delete "install-info" as
> root, from the command line, I get the same message ( permission denied
> ).
>
> I don't see any evidence of SE Linux on this system, Mount claims that
> the filesystem ( / ) is mounted rw.
>
> I can't create a file in /usr/sbin, but can in /usr and delete it too.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?

Try using lsattr to look at the attributes of the file---if a file is
marked i (for immutable), then chattr -i install-info will make it
read/write, but I'll go ahead and mention that the only time I've ever
seen a file or bits of files go suddenly immutable was when a box I
had once administered was hacked.

Mike
--
I'd write a song called "Senorita with a Necklace of Tears" -- Paul Simon