[TriLUG] Gallery Problems

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Sat Aug 6 11:03:06 EDT 2005

So I've narrowed the problem down to a network problem that has nothing
to do with gallery.  It turns out that the 404 not found's that I was
randomly seeing were from the Clark Connect box that we use as our
router in the house and not from the Gentoo system that is running
Gallery.  I noticed that the 404 errors had a different version of
Apache listed at the bottom and nothing about ssl or php, which is what
clued me in.  So I turned off Apache on the Clark Connect box, and then
I always got a window that said that the host refused the connection
when I tried to access Gallery from inside our network.  Gallery worked
just fine from the outside (I had Clark Connect set to forward port 80
to this machine).

So, the problem turned out to be that we had a name in our Clark Connect
setup called gateway.hamlettcorp.com that was set to our Clark Connect
box.  When we tried to ping www.hamlettcorp.com from the inside, it
would resolve to the Clark Connect box's internal IP and not my
machine.  When we removed this entry, everything seemed to work.  I'm
keeping my fingers crossed, but that seems to have been the problem...

Thanks,
Randy