[TriLUG] OT: Ethernet hot-pluggability

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Aug 8 10:21:21 EDT 2005

Hi Folks!
   This will probably sound like a stupid question, but is there
anything inherent about Ethernet that would make it risky to hot-plug?
I have /never/ encountered a shop that advocated cold-plugging Ethernet,
but I was just reading an Alesis HD24 manual which strongly urges users
of the HD24 equipment to "[m]ake Ethernet connections to your computer
and HD24 only when the power is off to avoid damage."

Power-over-Ethernet notwithstanding, of course, which shouldn't be a
factor in this case.

Thanks!
~Brian