[TriLUG] OT: Ethernet hot-pluggability

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:35:24 EDT 2005

Back in the day, waaaay back say around 1995, cold plugging was more
the norm.  This was back when most everything ran on 10base2 and hubs
were a shared collision domain.  Many 10base2 cards would do some
freaky things every once in a while, like pump +5 volts down the wire
constantly.

Today I can't imagine why one would go with the cold plugging outside
of PoE, which you mentioned, or for high security networks.

Greg