[TriLUG] UPDATE ON PXE SERVER ON MANDRAKE

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at futeki.net
Wed Aug 10 12:49:44 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 09:39 -0700, unctux wrote:
> >On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:55:07 -0400 Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> wrote.
> >ignore that step, just hit next.  it's just trying to figure out its
> >host name which doesn't matter for installation.  annoying.
> >
> is there something that can be added to dhcp.conf or for the dns server to
> prevent this or is it just a "FEATURE" LOL

Yes, possibly.  But I'm not sure if it will stop $INSTALLER from trying
to reverse lookup itself.  You could try though;

Basically instead of (or in addition to) a subnet{} stanza in your
dhcpd.conf you want do add something like:

group{
    use-host-decl-names on;

    class "pxe-clients" {
        match if option vendor-class-identifier = "PXEClient:Arch:00000:UNDI:002001";
        filename "/pxelinux.0";
    }

    class "non-pxe" {
        match if option vendor-class-identifier != "PXEClient:Arch:00000:UNDI:002001";
        filename "/path/to/kickstart.cfg";
    }

    host client1 {
        hardware ethernet 00:06:23:42:A9:C9;
        fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
    }
}

client1 then becomes the hostname of that machine with the matching HW address.

I threw in the class stuff for kicks too.  Basically if it's the PXE
client doing dhcp it'll send it pxelinux.0 as the filename.  If it's the
installer, it will send /path/to/kickstart.cfg  (Anaconda will then try
to get this via NFS(?)).  Don't know what other (your) distros will do
with it.  You could just take all the class sections out and replace
with a single filename "/pxelinux.0";

Good luck,
Tim