[TriLUG] Trying to get (too) fancy with dhcpd.conf

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:49:04 EDT 2005

I'd like to use DHCP to assign two ip addresses to one network
card...I know it's possible to do by hand, but I'd like to automate
the process.  I have already got several clients (win and linux)
getting a fixed-address, but only one.  I thought about creating
virtual adapter in linux (eth0:0) but I see the MAC is the same as the
real card and I guess I'd expect it would be.  But I would like this
to work on the Windows machines as well.  The main reson I'm looking
into this is because $BOSS has decided he wants a public IP address
for his laptop in addition to the private IP he needs to access may
features in the office.  Naturally he also wants it to just work when
he gets home (using DHCP as well).  I setup the alternate
configuration on his machine running XP, he gets a DHCP assigned
private...and no public...

Can this be done with dhcpd?

Thanks,
Steve