[TriLUG] Trying to get (too) fancy with dhcpd.conf

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:22:21 EDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Steve Hoffman <srhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to use DHCP to assign two ip addresses to one network
> card...I know it's possible to do by hand, but I'd like to automate
> the process.  I have already got several clients (win and linux)
> getting a fixed-address, but only one.  I thought about creating
> virtual adapter in linux (eth0:0) but I see the MAC is the same as the
> real card and I guess I'd expect it would be.  But I would like this
> to work on the Windows machines as well.  The main reson I'm looking
> into this is because $BOSS has decided he wants a public IP address
> for his laptop in addition to the private IP he needs to access may
> features in the office.  Naturally he also wants it to just work when
> he gets home (using DHCP as well).  I setup the alternate
> configuration on his machine running XP, he gets a DHCP assigned
> private...and no public...
>
> Can this be done with dhcpd?

I tried to do the same thing with dnsmasq sort of.  I wanted to assign
the same IP address to the wired and wireless MAC adresses on my
laptop.  dnsmasq wouldn't let me hand out the same IP in the configs,
even though they were different MACs, and not active at the same time.

(Not really a solution to your problem, sorry. :)  )