[TriLUG] Grub and new kernels

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 12 08:01:29 EDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Brian McCullough wrote:

> but had found Grub.  It then told me to set up my menu.lst so that it
> referred to "/boot/arch/i386/.../bzImage-2.6.10".

you will have your kernel in

/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage

copy it to /boot/bzImage-2.6.10
copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map-2.6.10
copy /usr/src/linux/.config to /boot/.config-2.6.10

put the location of the kernel in menu.lst. The other two
files are for your later convenience.

> I have no such file in no such path.  I copied the bzImage from the
> kernel tree to /boot and modified menu.lst accordingly.  When I reboot
> to that kernel -- kernel panic!

at least grub found the kernel and started booting. It may
tell you why it panic'ed - like you gave it the incorrect
location for the root file system.

Joe