[TriLUG] Grub and new kernels

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 12 08:29:08 EDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Brian McCullough wrote:

> did that.  ( is that "."config, or config? )

/usr/src/linux/.config

> I don't _think_ so, but will re-check.  ( I copied an existing stanza
> from the menu.lst file. )

doesn't mean a thing. Your partitions (hence locations) may
be different.

> The last messages in the kernel panic are talking about "init".

(err - I think...)

if:

Can't find init - hasn't found the root file system, you
need to use the monkey-typewriter-sonnet principle to
give grub the location of the root file system.

what's your grub line(s) and where do you mount / from?
/dev/hda1 ?

else:
init is found and is missing files -
it found the root file system then and grub has done
all it can do. THen I presume some files are missing on /.
I don't know what the problem is from here
but someone here will know what it is.

The best thing at this stage is to go calm down and try
to remember everything you did since it last booted
(presumably with lilo) and figure out what you might
have done to mess up.

Unfortunately this being a 2.6.x kernel, you can
no longer boot from a floppy.

Joe