[TriLUG] Yum repositories

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 12:22:13 EDT 2005

On 8/12/05, Owen Berry <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have any compatability experience with using the Dag
> (http://dag.wieers.com/), livna (http://rpm.livna.org/) and Fedora
> extras (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras) repositories for Fedora
> RPMs? I've been using livna and fedora.us (now Fedora Extras) for a
> while, but I'm looking for some packages for FC3 that are only on Dag's
> repository.
>
> According to the Dag FAQ, the livna and fedora.us ones are not
> compatible with his, so I would probably have to remove those packages
> and reinstall them. Seems like a lot of work, which I don't want to have
> to repeat.

Back when I was running RH9, I was using the Fedora legacy repo, and
tried to use the dag repos as well.  The problem is that Fedora and
DAG (as well as others) don't see eye to eye on version numbering. I
had some problems with some dependency packages being replaced with
back level versions. IIRC these came from the Fedora repos because
they SEEMED to be newer than those in the DAG repo.

I never did figure out how to fix this.  It's one form of dependency hell.