[TriLUG] Stale stuff in /var/run/utmp

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Aug 12 16:40:31 EDT 2005

Hi!
   Occasionally ssh-tunneled stuff doesn't let go of the connection
correctly and I have to terminate the ssh connection when I'm done (in
place of it closing cleanly upon exiting the shell...talking about
interactive logins).  This results (apparently) in stale records in
/var/run/utmp.  What's the best way to clear that out?  Is it safe to
just delete /var/run/utmp?  Or is there a particular command to issue to
purge stale login data?

It's not a big deal..  I just have to double-take when I see "5 users
logged in" when it's only me using the system (and "who" just lists
multiple instances of my user)..  So I'd like to be able to clear it.

Cheers,
~Brian