[TriLUG] essential Linux skills?
brent at rcfile.org
Tue Aug 16 13:19:19 EDT 2005
[2005-08-16 12:06] Douglass Davis said:
| I am teaching Linux this semester. If some one told you that they knew about
| Linux, what would be some essential skills that you would expect them to have,
| or things you would expect them to know. I don't mean expert level Linux
| knowledge but just intermediate.
0) Use of *nix on their /primary/ workstation!
1) Experience using a terminal-based editor, preferably vim :-O
2) How to read/write shell scripts.
3) Managment of shell/user accounts.
4) Basic understanding of system initialization.
5) Understanding of cron.
6) Knowledge of basic troubleshooting tools: strace, lsof, netstat
7) Experience installing software from vendor packages as well as
from source, also, a sane approach for managing installation
of non-packaged software.
8) OS Installation/upgrade.
Other obvious things I've missed?
More information about the TriLUG