[TriLUG] Ubuntu stuff

Dhruv Gami gami at d10systems.com
Mon Aug 15 21:02:59 EDT 2005

Dan wrote:
> Cristobal Palmer wrote:
>> Using a wiki established by the development community helps to improve
>> ubuntu. If the user base turns to other sources for help rather than
>> looking within the ubuntu community, it diminishes the quality of the
>> distribution. It's not hard to see why.
>>

> It might help the developers... but is ubuntu only that?  "If the user
> community turns to other sources for help, rather than looking
> within, it diminishes the community..."  You actually say that?
>
> That wiki solved a need that I had... something that the *true
> developers* didn't solve.  I know where I place the thanks.

I agree with Dan. He has a right to share something he found
interesting. Moreover, isn't the freedom to choose from different
options the whole essence of open source? By discouraging other sources
to exist, you're taking away a user's freedom to look elsewhere if she
does not agree with the information available on one site.

I was truly surprised to see such a mindset existing in the Open Source
community.

regards,
Gami