[TriLUG] Ubuntu stuff

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Aug 16 00:12:43 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:16:34PM -0400, Dan wrote:
> please don't ask me to correct a heartfelt recommendation based on your
> personal and biased experience.  I have followed the guidelines of that
> site with great success.  I correctly assume that the readers of this
> list have more than a modicum of experience with regards to GNU/Linux
> and its distributions. They can decide for themselves if the
> instructions presented are wise to follow.

You may recommend whatever you wish. Keep in mind that as an active
presence both in Ubuntu as a MOTU and in the general support channel,
I've tried to caution many people who blindly follow guides that will
make their lives rather...interesting...when upgrading between Ubuntu
releases. Guess who bears the brunt of those users not being aware of
the consequences of their actions? It certainly wouldn't be the clued
people with "more than a modicum of experience" [who aren't stepping in
to correct the guide's rather sparse explanations]. No sir, it's the
incredibly generous (myself excluded) volunteers in the general support
channel who end up repeating themselves til they're blue in the face.

I do not imply that you should not recommend ubuntuguide under any
circumstance. I DO imply that you should be very careful about
recommending anything not attached directly to the official wiki. We
make it quite clear that the ubuntuguide is helpful but lacks
information regarding WHY certainly actions can be disastrous. In fact,
it's rather disheartening to see users blow off our explanations why
those actions should be avoided - or at least that we should all be
reading the fine documentation and improving it first.

Of course I'm not speaking as a *developer* but as a *user* who spends
a tremendous amount of time contributing to Ubuntu. Is my experience
singularly biased? It's biased, certainly, but we wouldn't be working
on that FAQ - and I wouldn't have bothered responding to your post in
the first place - if there weren't at least a grain of truth in my
statement.

If you feel I offended you, I assure you that was NOT my intent. It IS
my intent, however, to continue contributing to Ubuntu so that our
documentation is sound AND is explained well. I invite you to join us.

Thanks,

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc