[TriLUG] how do I use cardbus under Linux-2.6?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 16 11:23:44 EDT 2005

I have cardbus turned on in the kernel build for 2.6.12, but
cardbus adapters are not recognised on insertion (nothing
in logs, no lights on the ethernet cardbus adapters). Even
if I didn't have the correct driver, I would expect a "no
driver found for device X" type message. I have a 6yr old
Thinkpad. Does cardbus, being 32 bit rather than 16bit like
pcmcia, require different hardware (eg controller chip,
something in the pcmcia connector) that I didn't have, or
should it work?

Thanks Joe