[TriLUG] essential Linux skills?

Dhruv Gami gami at d10systems.com
Tue Aug 16 12:29:11 EDT 2005

Douglass Davis wrote:
> I am teaching Linux this semester.   If some one told you that they knew
> about Linux, what would be some essential skills that you would expect
> them to have, or things you would expect them to know.  I don't mean
> expert level Linux knowledge but just intermediate.

I would look at the following experience/ability:

1. Ability to google and get relevant information
2. Ability to follow steps outlined in HOWTOs
3. Ability to form proper emails to mailing lists asking for support
(There are information sources for this too)
4. some knowledge about how linux works, concepts of kernel/shell,
pipes, some administrative stuff like working with users, logs,
installations, patches. But mainly its the first three steps that are
most necessary (IMHO)

I would love to see a professor stressing the importance of finding
answers on your own and learning by making mistakes, and asking humbly
(and properly) for help.

regards,
Gami