[TriLUG] essential Linux skills?

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Tue Aug 16 13:19:19 EDT 2005

[2005-08-16 12:06] Douglass Davis said:
| I am teaching Linux this semester.   If some one told you that they knew about
| Linux, what would be some essential skills that you would expect them to have,
| or things you would expect them to know.  I don't mean expert level Linux
| knowledge but just intermediate.

0) Use of *nix on their /primary/ workstation!
1) Experience using a terminal-based editor, preferably vim :-O
2) How to read/write shell scripts.
3) Managment of shell/user accounts.
4) Basic understanding of system initialization.
5) Understanding of cron.
6) Knowledge of basic troubleshooting tools: strace, lsof, netstat
7) Experience installing software from vendor packages as well as
   from source, also, a sane approach for managing installation
   of non-packaged software.
8) OS Installation/upgrade.

  Other obvious things I've missed?

hth.