[TriLUG] essential Linux skills?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Aug 17 09:35:50 EDT 2005

<snip Aaron's highly informative message>

Man..  And I thought I knew something about linux..  Crikey!  Looks like
I need to hit the manpages for a while..

So here's a good follow-up question, I think:

If you're someone like me, not really in position to devote a routine
timeslot to a formal class, where's a good place to start to find out
just "what's out there?"  It's not so hard to learn all about (for
example) Python, when you know Python exists, but how about someone* who
doesn't know what tools are even out there?  Or to liken manpages to a
dictionary...it's easy to look up a word in the dictionary if I've
already heard the word...or I could try to read the entire dictionary to
catch all the words I'd never heard before..  While it would no doubt be
an incredibly enlightening experience, I'm not quite ready to tackle
reading every single manpage..

I'm already going to use Aaron's epistle to help me round out my
knowledge, but would love any additional pointers on good things to know.

Yet another reason TriLUG rocks many socks.

Cheers,
~Brian

* Not saying this is me..  I do know /some/ stuff...but am also aware
there are plenty of gaps in my knowledge.