[TriLUG] IP Issues? WAS: essential Linux skills?

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:05:36 EDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Dhruv Gami <gami at d10systems.com> wrote:
> Just a thought... Aaron here explicitly gave permission for the content
> he wrote to be put up on the Wiki. This got me thinking... is it ok to
> pick up material from mailing list responses (with proper references)
> and use them anywhere ? Say, if i find a particularly interesting post,
> can i use it in my blog ? or add that to the Wiki ?
>
> i might be getting more than one issue confused here, but some responses
> to clarify the proper use of mailing list content would be nice.

Link to the mailing list archives.  Then you're not going to hurt
anyone's feelings.

I think that standard copyright rules apply.  Snippets and excerpts
can't be considered copyright enfringement, but if you're going to cut
whole paragraphs, it'd be best to contact the author for permission.

As for anything I've said, you're free to use it.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com