[TriLUG] how do I use cardbus under Linux-2.6?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Aug 22 21:26:56 EDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Brian McCullough wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Sorry for not getting back sooner -- life keeps getting in the way of the
> important stuff!

have been away from e-mail for a week.

Will look at your suggestions. I found a more recent version
of the hotplug/pcmcia-HOWTO than the one on the TLDP pages -
it's on ibiblio and it talks about getting cardbus working.

>From reading it, mine should be working, so I'll just work
my way through his steps.

> Hmmm, Thinkpad and Cardbus.  Yes, I had some fun with my 600e while I was
> learning how to get things to work.  I don't have it in front of me at the
> moment, but will try my memory.
>

> /etc/pcmcia/ should have a configuration file that matches card "signatures"
> to drivers.  Does your card appear there?

Don't have the laptop with me right now. I've got whatever
comes with the latest pcmcia set. The problem isn't the
driver or matching a driver to the card, it's that the card
isn't even noticed on insertion (should get one beep, don't
get anything and nothing in logs).

I assumed then that I don't have a functioning PCI-cardbus
layer. I thought it was possible that I didn't have any
hardware to do this, since it's a 6yr old laptop and it
might predate cardbus, but lspci shows a pci-cardbus bridge,
which presumably talks to the pcmcia pins. I will now have
to figure out if I have a driver for the chip.

> /etc/hotplug also has controls in the Thinkpad

err, sorry, what do you mean here?

Joe