[TriLUG] RHEWS4 and a Dell 9100......

dsandif dsandif at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 25 14:43:24 EDT 2005

 Hello all,

I have the following machine:
*Dell Dimension 9100, P4 processor 630 w/ HT technology, 3GHz
*2GB Dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ 4DIMMS
* 128 MB PCI Express x16(DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radon X300 SE HyperMemory
*USB 2-button Mouse, keyboard
*500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ DataBurst Cache
*Dual CD/DVD+/-RW w/ double layer write capable.

I am trying to create a Dual boot machine (Windows XP Pro on the other
side) installing RedHat  Enterprise WS 4 on the other side. When I go to
do the install, I get the following message:

"No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose
device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select
drivers now?"

Now what do I do here?,  how do I get around this driver issue? I know
the darn thing works on the windows side. I reading and based on what
I've see so far, its not clear as to it being a hard drive problem or a
contorller problem, thxs-

*******

Did a little more reading. I think the problem is that Red Hat Linux and
to that does not detect the SATA hard drives which Dell Dimension ships
with the 9100. I 'm thinking that I need to add a driver for the Linx
version (RHEWS4 in this case)  to detect the hard drives but I'm not
completely sure about this. Still might be the controller or the chip
set on the motherboard-

Getting warmer, found this whilst I was searching:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&message.id=5966
<http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&message.id=5966>

But exactly what in the BIOS do I need to adjust?