[TriLUG] OT: Amiable ping target

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 26 09:20:19 EDT 2005

We monitor QoS by measuring latencies along our path to various targets.
For IP's we use a traceroute from one endpoint to the other then ping to
the actual endpoints and routers along the path. This is much more
valuable information than just a general "are we up?" signal.

Using this we can quickly zero in on problem spots within the networks
of the ISP's that service our customers. We often end up knowing more
about the ISP networks than their own engineers.

Jon Carnes