[TriLUG] OT: Amiable ping target

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 26 11:45:16 EDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Brian Henning wrote:

> Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>> A common problem. Unfortunately the RFCs say that ping is not to be used
>> (at least continuously) for connectivity checking.
>
> Which RFC says that?

the statement is from

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1122/56.htm

which references RFC 816 (which I haven't read).

Statement 2 in section 3.3.1.4 says

      Active probes such as "pinging" (i.e., using an ICMP
      Echo Request/Reply exchange) are expensive and scale poorly. In
      particular, hosts MUST NOT actively check the status of a
      first-hop gateway by simply pinging the gateway continuously.

I got to the freesoft site starting at a link that tells you
how to route through two ISPs, alternately known as the
"dead gateway problem".

http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/nano.txt
http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/dgd-usage.txt
http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/mpath/

but I see (just now) that these don't refer to RFCs.

Joe