[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Aug 27 13:49:58 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 13:35 -0400, James Brigman wrote:

> *customer testimonal, not spam*
> I exchanged the drive under Maxtor's "advance replacement" program. They
> treated me so well that I've stuck with their products ever since (and
> have had only that one failure in about 8 years of using their drives.
> *end of testimonial*

<testimonial type="customer">

We had 11 250GB Maxtors (roughly 50/50 mix of SATA/PATA) die in the last
year -- all within the 1-yr warranty period.  It took many phone calls
and a bunch of maddening Maxtor mistakes (eg. sent us a box for shipping
just one drive when we 8 at that point... *sigh*) over a period of ~3
months but we did eventually get all the replacements.

</testimonial>

And always read the fine print!  If you return drives in a non-
certified shipping container (even though its already dead), your
warranty is *void* and you don't get a replacement.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307