[TriLUG] no device for CDROM in kernel-2.6

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Aug 27 19:36:22 EDT 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Jason Faulkner wrote:

> In udev, the device is probably /dev/cdroms/0 or /dev/discs/2.

nothing by that name. I looked for devices with the expected
major and nothing was there either. I also listed all the
names and nothing looked likely.

So I went to google. It turns out I wasn't loading cdrom.ko
and ide-cd.ko and they make the device and a link from
cdrom->hdc. duh.

I thought that everything in /dev/ came from some new magic.

Thanks Joe